A Look Back At Two Years Of WRRV Sessions
It was actually an idea I initially resisted. We had a pretty good thing going with the WRRV Atrium, but space was limited. So when WRRV management (thanks Joe!) saw the space at Newburgh Brewing Company, we knew right away we had to start WRRV Sessions. March 12th marks the two year anniversary since the first performance from the band New Politics.
But could we get the bands we wanted to come play in Newburgh? Turns out the answer is yes, and WRRV is celebrating with a performance from Mondo Cosmo on March 29th. He's out on the road with Bastille and is joining us on an off night, but more about that here.
I've been having a hard time coming up with a top five because each has been fun in it's own way. In fact the events featuring the Hudson Valley's The Racer, Jason Gisser Band and Bar Spy's have been some of the most fun. But these five left their mark, now on to booking more bands.
- Coheed and Cambria - November '16 - This one is hard to describe unless you were there, what a great vibe in the room. Here's a band who's typically playing to 3-5000 people a night, jamming out acoustic for 250 people in the Taproom at the Brewery. We're happy to support the band and look forward to a future rendezvous.
- Young The Giant - February '17 - The most recent Sessions was incredible, YTG are one of the best live bands around. But their acoustic performance is just on another level.
- Switchfoot - July '16 - This was officially the HOTTEST Sessions on record. The Taproom is a big room and when you pack a capacity crowd in there on one of the hottest days of the year, there's going to be some sweat. And we thank the guys in Switchfoot for being good sports about the heat, because did we mention it was hot?
- X Ambassadors - June '15 - It just so happened that X Ambassadors played Sessions the very same week their song 'Renegades' hit #1 on the Billboard Chart. Before coming over to the brewery, they stopped by Dutchess Stadium to take some batting practice.
- New Politics - March '15 - The very first Sessions. New Politics is officially Sessions house band. They'll be back at some point but we're not supposed to talk about that yet.
But here's the thing, Dirty Heads, Blue October, Strumbellas and others are all worth of top five consideration. We also have to give a special shout out to Robert DeLong for the most original performance at WRRV Sessions. His set up must be seen to be appreciated. Plus he worked 'WRRV' into a song. And we've never seen that before.
Of course we couldn't do it without folks like yourself, the great people at Newburgh Brewing Company, Healey Brothers and Ballentine Communications. Alto Music has been a great partner and the WRRV Promotions team does a lot of the heavy lifting. But the unsung hero is Chuck from Crash and Burn Photography, he's there to capture all the moments for us to look back on. Quite frankly I'm just happy to be along for the ride, so thanks to all!