D.A.: Former H.V. Doctor Stole Over $500,000 From Elderly Woman
A former lower Hudson Valley doctor is accused of stealing over a half-million dollars from a 97-year-old local woman.
On Wednesday in Westchester County Court, 69-year-old Peter Corines of Eastchester was arraigned on grand larceny charges.
The felony complaint alleges that during a two-week period in November 2017, Corines, a former Eastchester physician, stole from 97-year-old Bernice Judd Porter of Yonkers by falsely claiming to be her power of attorney or pretending to be her on the phone or online with numerous financial institutions where Porter had accounts.
By claiming to be Porter’s power of attorney, Corines went into various banks and withdrew money from her accounts, officials say.
By pretending to be her, he called various mutual funds and transferred money from her accounts, according to the Westchester County District Attorney's Office.
He also allegedly transferred money from her accounts without her permission, authority or consent.
In total, Corines is accused of stealing approximately $540,103 from the 97-year-old woman.
- First Responders Save Suicidal Man Dangling Over Hudson River
- 20 Arrested After Welfare Fraud Investigations in Hudson Valley
- 2 Seriously Hurt in Fiery 2-Car Crash in Dutchess County
- Woman Shot in Ulster County Near Popular Restaurants
- Bus Driver Caught Watching Video While Driving to Hudson Valley
- 2 Hudson Valley Burgers Among 10 Best in New York State
- Hudson Valley Exposed to 'Very Contagious Disease'
- Hudson Valley Grandma Killed in Fire, 10 Injured
- Former Hudson Valley Resident's Child Seriously Injured in Crash
- Hudson Valley High School to Start 1 Hour Later