DA: Hudson Valley Man Drove Drunk Into Trailer, Kills Friend
A Hudson Valley man is accused of driving drunk into a tractor-trailer which resulted in the death of his passenger.
On Monday in Orange County Court, 24-year-old Robert Higgins of Highland Mills was indicted for vehicular manslaughter and aggravated operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol.
The charges were filed in connection with the death of a young man who was a passenger in a car that Higgins was driving on December 22, 2017.
The indictment alleges that Higgins was driving drunk around 1:30 a.m. on December 22, 2017 on Route 32 in the Town of Woodbury.
Higgin’s car collided with a tractor-trailer, killing his passenger, officials say.
“Fatalities which occur as the result of driving while intoxicated are as tragic as they are preventable,” Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler said in a press release. “Too many lives have been irreparably harmed by those who drive while intoxicated.”
An Orange County grand jury charged Higgins with three-counts of vehicular manslaughter, aggravated operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, and two-counts of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol.
He was remanded to Orange County Jail on $5,000 bail. Higgins is scheduled to appear in court on May 10.
- 3 Children, 2 Adults Dead in Easter Monday Fire in Hudson Valley
- Elderly Hudson Valley Woman Killed in Crash
- Man Who Sexually Abused Kids Moves Near Hudson Valley School
- Dutchess County Man Admits to Killing Woman
- Woman Found Dead in Hudson Valley Creek
- Child Killer Out of Hudson Valley Prison, Moves Near Daycare
- Police: Worker Commits Sex Act at Hudson Valley Retirement Home
- Fire Displaces 6 Hudson Valley Residents From Home
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley