Hudson Valley Car Dealership Manager Stole Over $230,000 in Parts
A Hudson Valley car dealership manager stole parts from his employer and sold them online.
Recently in Westchester County Court, 49-year-old John Labarbera of Poughquag pleaded guilty to grand larceny.
During a nearly four-year period, from May 2011 until March 2015, Labarbera stole parts from the Curry Acura dealership in the Town of Greenburg and sold them for profit, officials say. At the time Labarbera was a parts manager at the dealership.
In total, Labarbera stole $231,317.26 from the dealership.
According to the Westchester County District Attorney’s Office:
- Labarbera convinced management at the dealership to sell automobile parts on eBay
- With the consent of the dealership, he then set up an account to sell parts on behalf of the dealership.
- Using the valid account as cover, and without management’s knowledge, Labarbera set up a separate eBay account which he used to sell parts he stole from the dealership.
- Labarbera would steal automobile parts, sell them on eBay, ship the parts to his buyers via Curry Acura's FedEx Ground account, accept payments via PayPal and keep the money for himself.
- He manipulated the inventory and accounting system of the dealership to cover up his crimes.
According to his plea agreement, if Labarbera provides $60,658.63 by sentencing he will get one year in the Westchester County Jail with a Judgment and Order of Restitution of $115,658.63 for the remaining amount of the larceny.
He already paid $55,000 in restitution.
If Labarbera doesn’t provide $60,658.63 by sentencing he will receive one to three years in state prison.
- Hudson Valley School District Closes All Schools Due to Shooting Threat
- Sources: Woman Found Floating in Hudson Valley Creek
- DOH: 380 Die From Opioid Overdoses in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Teen Fighting For Life From Flu
- Hudson Valley Man Fatally Beat Friend Near Train Tracks
- Hudson Valley Fifth Grader Competing for Team USA
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley