Jury Convicts Hudson Valley Man of Heroin Conspiracy
For the sixth time, a Hudson Valley man was convicted on felony drug charges. Police found over 2,500 bags of heroin in his possession.
On Tuesday, 44-year-old Ronald Smith of Fallsburg was convicted by a jury for two counts of conspiracy, criminal sale of a controlled substance, four counts of criminal possession of a controlled substance and tampering with physical evidence, all felonies, after a five day trial in Sullivan County Court.
Smith was arrested on September 18, 2017, at his apartment in the Laurel Garden Apartments after a lengthy investigation by the New York State Police Community Narcotics Enforcement Team.
An execution of a search warrant revealed Smith possessed 1,000 bags of heroin in his apartment and 1,550 bags of heroin in a stash location in the Village of Liberty, officials say.
During the course of the investigation, State Police also purchased approximately 900 bags of heroin from a co-conspirator and accomplice, according to the Sullivan County District Attorney’s Office.
Smith was convicted of conspiring to sell over a half ounce of heroin and possession of the heroin. He was also found guilty of trying to sell heroin to an undercover officer and tampering with physical evidence, for tossing 20 bags of heroin out of a bedroom window.
Smith has been previously convicted of five different drug felonies.
He was convicted for criminal possession of a controlled substance in 2012 in Orange County, criminal sale of a controlled substance in Kings County court in 2006, criminal possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell in 2001 in Sullivan County, criminal possession of a controlled in 1999 in Sullivan County and criminal possession of a controlled substance in 1998 in Sullivan County.
He received a prison sentence for each conviction.
He faces a potential for an enhanced sentence as a persistent felony offender Smith now faces 25 years to life in prison for being a persistent felony offender, officials say.
- Lawyer: Unseen Video From Viral Bar Fight Tells Different Story
- 3 Hudson Valley Restaurants Makes List of 'America’s Favorite'
- Hudson Valley Officer Sexually Harassed By Boss, Lawsuit Claims
- Have You Seen This Wanted Hudson Valley 'Sexual Predator'?
- 'Sexually Violent' Sex Offender Moves in Hudson Valley
- Beloved Hudson Valley Teacher, Father to 10 Killed
- Hudson Valley High School Senior Killed in Crash
- Man Found Dead Pinned Under Truck in Hudson Valley
- Encounter With Bouncer, Customer at Hudson Valley Bar Goes Viral
- Hudson Valley Woman With Suspended License Causes Fatal Accident