Man Accused of Assaulting Hudson Valley Police Officer
A Hudson Valley man is behind bars for allegedly fleeing police on I-87 and later assaulting an officer.
Recently, State Police stopped a vehicle on I-87 in the town of Tuxedo for an alleged traffic violation.
During the trooper’s interview, the driver 29-year-old Chaim Surkis of Spring Valley fled, police say. After crashing his car, Surkis is accused of injuring an officer.
Surkis was charged with assault with intent to cause injury to a police officer, a felony, reckless driving, reckless endangerment, resisting arrest, obstruction of governmental administration, unlawfully fleeing a police officer in a motor vehicle and criminal mischief, all misdemeanors.
The injured trooper was treated for non-life-threatening injuries at a local hospital and released.
- Potentially Dangerous Animal Terrorizes Hudson Valley Town
- Fire Destroys Hudson Valley Bowling Alley
- Same-Sex Couple Weds at West Point
- $4,000 Found and Returned Outside Hudson Valley Restaurant
- Police: Drunk Man Drove in Hudson Valley With Loaded Deadly Rifle
- Driver Walks Away From Horrific Accident on Palisades Parkway
- The Price is Right is Coming Back to the Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Resident Selected in Major League Soccer Draft
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley