New Windsor Factory Once Site of Work Shooting That Left 2 Dead
The site of Monday’s tragic plant explosions was once involved in a tragic work shooting, that left two dead and two others injured.
In Sept. of 2005, Victor Piazza shot two owners and an office manager before fatally shooting himself inside Verla International in New Windsor. All three victims were shot in the head.
Piazza previously lost his job at the nail polish factory after child porn was found on his work computer, reports the New York Times.
The office manager, 48-year-old Joanne O'Brien of Monroe, was first placed on life support and declared brain dead. She later died from her injuries. Piazza fired one shot from his .38 caliber revolver into the receptionist’s head.
He then shot one of the owners, Robert Roth of Wallkill, twice in the head. Piazza later shot another owner, Mario Maffei of Greenwich C.T., in the head. Both survived.
Piazza then used the same gun to kill himself.
Days before the shooting, Piazza was charged with violating probation after police found adult porn in his bedroom, The N.Y. Times reports.
- 1 Dead, 33 Injured in Explosions at Hudson Valley Plant
- Man Dies Scuba Diving in The Hudson Valley
- At Least 6 Killed in Mafia-Style Murders in The Hudson Valley
- High-Risk Long Island Sex Offender Moves to Hudson Valley
- Police: Hudson Valley Man Made Terroristic Threat
- Hudson Valley Man Violently Raped Elderly Woman
- Doctor Accused of Abusing Hudson Valley Woman, 16 Others
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley