Poinsetta Plants Can They Hurt This Member of Your Family?
During the winter months you will see many Poinsetta used as decorations. Their bright red and sometimes pink or white flowers conjuring up the knowledge of Christmas and the holidays.
The big question that everyone wants answered is are these things poisonous? Will they kill your pets?
According to the Pet Poison Hotline, they are only mildly toxic to cats, dogs, horses, cows and birds.
When the leaves of the flower or the stems are ingested here are some of the symptoms that you might notice in your pets:
- Licking lips
- Dermal irritation (including redness, swelling, and itchiness)
If you suspect that your pet has ingested part of the poinsettia plant, call your veterinarian for more information and if you should bring the pet to the office.