Police: N.Y. State Trooper Killed by Suicidal School Principal
Flags across the Hudson Valley and the rest of the state will be at half-staff in honor of a State Trooper who was allegedly killed by a school principal.
In the early hours on Monday, New York State Police officer Nicholas Clark, 29, responded to reports of a suicidal man who barricaded himself at a home on Welch Road in the town of Erwin, Stueben County.
During the incident, Clark was shot and killed by the suicidal barricaded man, police say.
"To the Clark family, to his mother, his father, his brother, we hope you find peace in this senseless act of violence," Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said after meeting with New York State Police and local law enforcement to receive a briefing on Trooper Clark's death. "A 29-year-old trooper, a stellar trooper with an extraordinary record, his whole life before him. Great athlete. Well accomplished. He wanted to do one thing which was help people."
The suspect, 43-year old Steven M. Kiley, a school principal, was later found dead in the home from an apparent gunshot wound, according to New York State Police.
Kiley was a pre-K to 12th-grade principal in the Bradford Central School District, NYup reports.
Clark graduated from the New York State Police Academy in Sept. 2015. He worked as a State Trooper in Ithaca, Auburn and Bath. He's survived by his mother, father and brother.
"This is a terrible loss for the New York State Police and our thoughts and prayers are with Trooper Clark and his family, New York State Police First Deputy Superintendent Chris Fiore said.
Gov. Cuomo directed flags on all state government buildings be flown at half-staff in honor of Clark.
This incident remains under investigation.
- 1 Killed, Many Hurt After High-Speed Chase in Hudson Valley
- Woman Hit, Killed By Train in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Prostitution Sting Leads to 7 Arrests
- Police: N.Y. State Trooper Killed by Suicidal School Principal
- Person Seriously Hurt in Hit-And-Run Near Newburgh Waterfront
- Police Seek Answers After Man Shot Near Poughkeepsie Businesses
- 2 Allegedly Found in Hudson Valley With Over 25 Pounds of Weed
- 2018 Hudson Valley Fireworks Guide