THE Hudson Valley Beer / Girl Scout Cookie Pairing List
I like beer.
In fact, this is my second time writing about beer on this website just this week (3,739th time overall. I’ve counted. It was exhausting).
But since it’s that time of year, I figured I should put together my list of which Hudson Valley beers I’d pair with which Girl Scout Cookies. I have done hours and hours of research in both Hudson Valley beer tasting and Girl Scout Cookie eating so I feel like I can shed some light on this topic. So, without further ado:
Thin Mints – Mill House Velvet Panda
- That chocolatey mint is balanced perfectly by the delicious, subtle roastiness of this phenomenal stout. Every time I go to Mill House, I have to have one. I’ll sneak some cookies in next time. Forget dunking Oreos, this is the way to go.
Samoas - Newburgh Brown Ale
- The chewy, rich caramel and coconut cookie matches up with the complete drinkability of Newburgh’s Brown Ale. I’ve always compared the flavor of this beer to that of a chocolate-covered pretzel, but it’s not heavy in any way. I will order this beer every time I see it at a restaurant. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for my liver, that seems to be more and more places these days (shouts to restaurants who actually support local beer). Try it with some Samoas, yo.
Savannah Smiles - Rushing Duck Nimptopsical
- I don’t know who Savannah is, but to paraphrase Dave Chappelle: that’s a good-ass Girl Scout cookie. This cookie has a little zest, a little crispness and it makes the ideal candidate to pair with this next beer because… well, let me just let Rushing Duck’s description of the beer speak for itself: “This beer is created with 5 different varieties of malt to produce an incredibly complex flavor profile that yield flavors of toffee, burnt sugar, toasted bread, and overripe fruit.” If that doesn’t make you want to grab a growler and a couple of boxes of cookies and put on 7lbs, I don’t know what will.
Trefoils - Sloop’s The Sauer Peach
- I will not apologize for my love of sour beers. I’ve often said I’m too beer-ADD and commitment-challenged to stick with ONE beer repeatedly, but this is the one beer I could drink a keg of and still want more. Don’t be scared off by the idea of sour! This one is just incredibly refreshing an drinkable. Let this delicious peach flavor and crispness bring your boring shortbread to life!
- This might be the most perfect pairing of the bunch. It’s actually going to inspire me to spend an irrational amount of money on Tagalongs and 4-packs of Keegan Joe Mama’s, but whatever. It’s research. This beer is so ridiculously good I dream about it. I love a good coffee stout and this is a great coffee stout. You know Keegan, you know their Mother’s Milk, but if you haven’t had Joe Mama’s… well, I don’t know why you have such low self-esteem. You owe it to yourself. And what more can be said about Tagalongs? Peanut butter cookies are one of the great joys of this earth. Pair it with a stout that pairs the delicious sweetness of a milk stout with a nice coffee flavor and you will reach a state of enlightenment.
So there you go. Feel free to do your own research and figure out a list of your own, but hours and hours of love, care, and indulgence went into this list, so give them a shot!