The Term ‘Smart Aleck’ Comes From a New York Pimp
You just never know how some words and phrases catch on. Here's one straight form the Empire State.
We've all called someone a 'smart Aleck' before. If you haven't someone has probably called you one. Where the heck does that term come from?
According to Mental Floss, it turns out that the phrase 'smart Aleck' came from a real life pimp named Alec Hoag from New York in the 1800s. Alec would rob his customers in dark alleys. He got away with doing this a while with the help of local police. He'd bribe them for their protection.
The enlisted police eventually discovered that they were not getting their fair share of Alec's profits so they arrested him. He eventually escaped but was later caught. Police claimed he was "too smart for his own good."
There's your history lesson for the day.
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Hudson Valley Celebrities
- Study Claims New York Women Are the Meanest
- Hudson Valley Town Named One of America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Where Is Oniontown and Why Is It So Dangerous?
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America