Local Wineries Win “Winery of the Year” Award
Every September, the weekend after Labor Day, the Hudson Valley Wine Festival is held at the Dutchess County Fair Grounds in Rhinebeck.
What you might not know is that there is also the Hudson Valley Wine Competition, takes place the Saturday of that festival. Here are the parameters for the competition from the Hudson Valley Wine Growers Association website:
The competition is open to any wine or spirits produced & bottled in the Hudson Valley AVA made from 100%New York State fruit or wine made anywhere from 100% Hudson Valley Fruit.
All wines and spirits entered must be commercially available in New York State at the time of the competition.
To compete in the category of Hudson Valley AVA Wine, the wine must have been made from at least 75% Hudson Valley produce.
Here are a few of the top local winners of the competition:
- Tousey Winery, tied for Winery of the Year, Best Rose, they also won 6 awards for their wines including 2 Double Gold
- Benmarl Winery, tied for Winery of the Year, Best Sparkling, they also won 6 awards for their wines including 2 Gold
- Whitecliff Winery, 5 awards for their wines, including 1 Double Gold
- Brotherhood Winery, 13 awards for their wines and their ciders
- Clinton Vineyards, 2 awards for their wines
- Hudson Valley Distillers, 4 awards for their spirits, including Best Spirit for their Gin
Next years Hudson Valley Wine Festival will take place on September 8 and 9, 2018.