5 Hacks From Security Co to Keep Your Hudson Valley Home Safe
Think that your apartment (or home) is safe? You might want to stop and think about this one. New research was released this week from Ooma.com, that found renters are 85% more likely to be burglarized than owners.
Here are 5 tips that Ooma.com came up with to help you try to prevent a burglary at your place:
- FIND YOUR APARTMENT'S WEAK SPOTS
First and foremost, conduct an audit of vulnerable areas during day and nighttime. Some companies allow you to install motion sensors near in-window air conditioning units, fire escapes, and dark entryways that are all common entry points for burglars.
- SECURE WINDOWS & PATIO DOORS
Sliding glass doors have notoriously bad locks. An inexpensive way of adding extra security when you're away is by adding a security bar, metal rod, or even a broom handle will block the door from being opened while you're out.
- VIDEO IS THE BEST WAY TO CATCH BURGLARS
There are many security options that offer economical video capturing features. You can also get notified instantly in case of a break in—and the video footage makes for indisputable evidence.
- MONITOR YOUR HOME REMOTELY
With a home security app, you can switch from day to night to vacation modes automatically using time of day or GPS location. This ensures that even when you're away, you know that state of your apartment without having to ask a neighbor to check it for you.
- INSTALL A DIY SECURITY SYSTEM
Home Security doesn't have to be expensive; anything is better than nothing: 83% of burglars will be looking for an alarm, and 60% of them will be deterred by a security system.
Have you done any of the above things to try and keep your home more secure? Do you have a suggestion that isn't listed above that you would like to share?
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Hudson Valley Celebrities
- Study Claims New York Women Are the Meanest
- Hudson Valley Town Named One of America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Where Is Oniontown and Why Is It So Dangerous?
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America