Why Is Breakneck Closing? When Will It Reopen?
We know Breakneck is closing for repairs and new construction. But,what exactly are they doing?
Construction is set to be begin for the Hudson highlands Fjord Trail at the Breakneck Connector. The project will dramatically improve visitor access to Breakneck Ridge from Metro-North and NYS Route 9D.
Project Manage, Amy Kacala said:
The Hudson Highlands Fjord Trail effort has always been envisioned as more than just a trail. It’s really a comprehensive congestion management initiative to help address critical safety needs and safeguard the quality of life and natural environment in the Hudson Highlands
The project will address many safety concerns that currently exist. Here's what will be done:
- Create a pedestrian and bicycle path connection between the Breakneck Ridge Metro-North train stop and the Breakneck Ridge trailhead to keep pedestrians out of the roadway
- Replace the Breakneck Ridge train platforms with ADA-accessible platforms that will decrease the time hikers need to exit the train, avoiding delays on the Hudson Line caused by the current platforms
- Demarcate on-street parking and emergency vehicle staging along Route 9D in the half-mile section north of the Breakneck tunnel, and eliminating nose-in and other dangerous parking conditions
- Pave and stripe the current dirt parking area, including designated space for three emergency vehicles, bathroom facilities and a trolley stop
- Reduce the speed limit on Route 9D from 55 to 40 mph and add enhanced pedestrian crossings and other features to improve safety.
- Add a new welcome center for NY-NJ Trail Conference trail orientations at the Breakneck Ridge trailhead, including new trailhead signs and other wayfinding
Although the trails along the ridge will remain open, it is anticipated that the Breakneck Ridge trailhead and train stop will need to close temporarily to allow for safe and quick construction.
NYS Parks Regional Director Linda Cooper said:
New York State Parks is excited to partner on the Breakneck Connector transformation project that will further enhance the Cold Spring to Beacon corridor. This transformation will improve safety, accessibility and deepen the experience for all seeking a slice of the outdoors along Breakneck Ridge in Hudson Highlands State Park.
The anticipated timeframe for the closure for the trailhead and Breakneck Ridge train stop is in early 2018 and both would remain closed until the project is complete in mid 2019.
Updated construction information can be found on the project website.