Will This Newburgh Department Store Be Closing in 2018?
There is bad news on the horizon for hundreds of workers at Bon-Ton.
The department store's corporate owners recently announced that they will be closing at least 40 stores in 2018. After another disappointing sales quarter, the company has decided the only way to stay profitable is to eliminate locations. According to Chain Store Age there are 260 stores operating throughout the country under the names Bon-Ton, Bergner’s, Boston Store, Carson’s, Elder-Beerman, Herberger’s and Younkers.
The closest Bon-Ton operates in the Newburgh Mall on Route 300. The location just recently announced the opening of an FAO Schwarz shop.. The toy store partnered with Bon-Ton to resurrect it's legendary brand just in time for the holiday shopping season. FAO Schwarz will be a permanent addition to all of the participating Bon-Ton stores.
Bon-Ton is just the latest in a long list of department stores that have announced major closings in our area. Sears, K-Mart, Macy's, JC Penney and others have all closed local stores over the past few years.
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Hudson Valley Celebrities
- Study Claims New York Women Are the Meanest
- Hudson Valley Town Named One of America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Where Is Oniontown and Why Is It So Dangerous?
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America