12 Days of Bourbon? What Bourbons Lovers Want For Christmas
My sister and I had a discussion involving different types of advent calendars and she suggested that someone come up with an advent calendar that when you opened up the door, there was a beer. There have also been whiskey and wine advent calendars that people have been wanting to get their hands on this year. The goal of all these calendars? Counting down to Christmas in a very 21 and over type way.
It was shortly after this conversation that she challenged me, a bourbon and whisk(e)y enthusiast, to coming up with the "12 Days Of Bourbon". I said, so what's the challenge? So I added just a few rules, the bourbons have to be readily available, aka NO PAPPY VAN WINKLES and I had to have actually tried them, if I am suggesting it.
So the following are listed in no particular order. The rule that I have added for 2018, is that the bottles had to be under $100 each. Listen, I love a good bourbon, but some of the prices have really gone a bit nuts over the last few years. The list has changed a bit since I first posted it in 2015, but each one is enjoyable and would probably make the bourbon lover in your life pretty happy.
Here is the list. What do you think? Agree, Disagree? I do have a few suggestions if one or two of these are not available at the bottom of the post.
12. Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch Bourbon
11. Angels Envy, Port Cask Finished
10. Eagle Rare 10 Year
9. 1792, Either the Small Batch, the Port Finished or Bottled in Bond
8. Maker's Mark, a great place to start if you have not tried many bourbons
7. Knob Creek, a great 9 year aged, 100 proof bourbon that can be in a cocktail or hold its own weigh with an ice cube or two
6. Four Roses Single Barrel
5. Booker Noe, Little Book either Chapter 1 or Chapter 2
4. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, not for the beginning bourbon drinker, add a cube of ice and let it rest for a minute or two before enjoying
3. Hillrock Solera Bourbon, Sauterne Cask Finished. Not sure if there is much of this in the open market place, might have to inquire at the distillery.
2. Black Dirt Bourbon, Crown Maple. Ok this is not a 'Maple Flavored Syrupy Whiskey' this is a tasty treat that can be enjoyed neat or with a ice cube or two.
1. Basil Hayden
***Some substitutions could include the Jefferson's Presidential, Bakers, Elijah Craig 12 year, Bulleit, Woodford, Willet Pot Still and Maker's 46, Hudson Baby Bourbon***
Full disclosure, I have had the Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old and it was delicious. Do I think I will ever get my hands on another bottle of it, probably not, but I did make sure to share that particular bottle with as many people as I could, while constantly 're-sampling' it for myself.
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Hudson Valley Celebrities
- Study Claims New York Women Are the Meanest
- Hudson Valley Town Named One of America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Where Is Oniontown and Why Is It So Dangerous?
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America