A 61-year-old and 89-year-old are lucky to be alive after they were both found unconscious by carbon monoxide poisoning.

On Monday, first responders found two women unconscious by carbon monoxide poisoning in their Carmel home on Gate Road.

Around noon, one of the women, a 61-year-old, texted her daughter incoherent messages. The daughter, who was out of the area, got worried and tried to call her mother.

When her mother didn’t answer she called a friend and asked her to check on her mother and grandmother.

The friend arrived and heard the sound of a carbon monoxide alarm going off inside and could see the 89-year-old grandmother lying unconscious on the floor in a bedroom near the front door.

The friend then called 911.

Within a few minutes, first responders went into the house and pulled the grandmother from the front bedroom.

The 61-year-old woman was found unconscious in a back bedroom.

The victims, who were still unconscious and unresponsive after being removed from the home, were rushed to Westchester Medical Center.

The women were admitted for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning and are expected to recover, police say.

“The two women are very fortunate to be alive,” Carmel Police Chief Cazzari said. “Had the woman not received the garbled texts or, even having received them, had she not acted swiftly on her concern by having the friend check on her mother and grandmother, the victims would have eventually succumbed to the poison gas.”

According to the Carmel Volunteer Fire Department, readings taken in the house indicated a concentration level of carbon monoxide gas in the air of 1,800 parts per million.

Human exposure to 1,200 ppm of carbon monoxide for one hour can be fatal. The typical level of carbon monoxide in a home ranges from 3 to 6 ppm, officials say.

Officials believe that the high level of carbon monoxide was caused by a faulty connection in an exhaust pipe leading from a propane gas burner used to heat the home. It appeared that the faulty connection allowed the exhaust gases from the burner to be pumped inside the house, instead of being expelled outside.

Two first responders reported feeling light-headed after removing the victims from the house. They were administered oxygen by other first responders and did not require further treatment.

Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley