7 Teens Charged With Robbing Student who Brought Knife to School
Seven Hudson Valley teens are accused of robbing a student who later brought a knife to school and injured a cop.
On April 3, the Community Resource Officer assigned to the Newburgh Free Academy main campus observed a group of approximately 50-75 students in the area of South Street and Robinson Avenue. The officer radioed for additional units to assist in dispersing the crowd.
The crowd, moving through Downing Park, eventually spilled out into the area of Dubois Street near St. Luke’s Cornwall Hospital where a fight began. Police found a male student who had been assaulted but refused medical treatment, police say.
Police later determined that earlier in the day the student had a problem with another student and the school staff attempted to diffuse it so there would not be any problems on school grounds.
Police were told the male victim was beaten and robbed of his cell phone by a large group of other students. While detectives worked to identify those involved, the victim, who was still attending school, did not feel safe and believed he was going to be targeted again, police say.
On April 8th, the same student was found with a knife inside the school. The Community Resource Officer was injured while taking the knife from the student.
On Thursday, five 17-year-old Newburgh students were charged with two counts of robbery, a felony. On Monday, two more people were arrested. Two 16-year-old Newburgh students were also charged as adults offenders with two counts of robbery.
- Popular Hudson Valley Coach Killed By the Mother of his Children
- Popular Hudson Valley Bar Shut Down by Police
- Body Found Dead in Water in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley School Investigates Alleged Homophobic Incident
- 7 Teens Charged With Robbing Student who Brought Knife to School
- Hudson Valley Man Convicted of Domestic Abuse for 4th Time
- 1 Dead After Drugs Laced With Fentanyl Sold in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Elementary Student Brings Box Cutters To School
- Hudson Valley Rallies Behind Teen Battling Rare Cancer
- Fire Fighting Foam Released Into Air, Water in Hudson Valley
- 1 Killed in Route 9 Crash in Hudson Valley