Bus Driver Fatally Hits Man Near Hudson Valley School, Cops Say
A bus driver is accused of fleeing the scene after fatally hitting a man outside of a Hudson Valley school. Police are hoping to talk with witnesses.
On Wednesday around 5:45 a.m., City of Newburgh police responded to the area of 301 Robinson Avenue for a report of a man struck by a vehicle.
Officers found a man who appeared to have been struck by a vehicle and was dead, police say.
The vehicle that hit the dead man fled the scene, officials say.
New York State Police were notified and responded to perform a reconstruction of the accident. The Orange County District Attorney’s Office and The Orange County Medical Examiner’s Office were also notified.
City of Newburgh Detectives began working and a short while into the investigation it was determined the dead man was struck by a passenger bus driven by Deborah M. Berrios of Wallkill, according to police.
Berrios was charged with leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, a felony. Authorities didn't go into details about what led to Berrios being charged.
Police have yet to release the name or age of the deceased.
The accident caused parts of 9W to be closed for hours in Newburgh.
301 Robinson Avenue in Newburgh is the address for Newburgh Free Academy North Campus, according to Google Maps.
The investigation into the accident is ongoing. Anyone in the area between 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. should call the City of Newburgh Police Detective Division at 845569-7509. All calls will be kept confidential.
- Hudson Valley Restaurant Among Best in America
- Bus Driver Fatally Hits Man Near Hudson Valley School, Cops Say
- Man Accused of Killing Hudson Valley Man at Work
- Hudson Valley Police Officer Killed in the 'Line of Duty'
- Hudson Valley Man Who Murdered Family Faced Parole Board
- Hudson Valley Woman Killed in Crash With Tractor-Trailer
- 1 Airlifted to Hospital After Hudson Valley School Bus Tips Over
- All of I-84 in the Hudson Valley to get New Exit Numbers
- Hudson Valley Man Killed At Work, Gunman On The Loose
- Remains of 24-Year-Old Found in Bag Outside Hudson Valley Bank
- Marist Graduate Makes NFL History