The Hudson Valley Is About To Be Hopping As Colleges Welcome Incoming Classes
If you've noticed a bit more activity in the area, more cars on the roads, busier than usual in your regular coffee spot, or a general uptick in people in the area, you aren't alone and here's why. Hudson Valley colleges are preparing for the start of another academic year.
New Faces In Our Familiar Places
With August winding down, the Hudson Valley's local colleges and universities are gearing up for the start of the fall 22 semester, preparing to welcome incoming classes of first-year and transfer students to campuses across the area. Some of our local colleges have already kicked off the semester, so if you've noticed increased activity or some seemingly new faces in the area, that's why.
While some may complain about their commutes taking a little longer due to increased "college traffic," and you may hear some sighs from neighbors of our local colleges and universities about those rowdy college kids, when you think about it, the fact that the Hudson Valley is home to so many colleges is great for our community, and especially our local businesses.
Think about all the families that will be visiting the Hudson Valley on the regular now, and wanting to take their student out for a non-dining-hall dinner, or to pick up some essentials for their rooms/apartments.
With that in mind, here's when you can expect some increased activity in the college areas of the Hudson Valley.
Hudson Valley College Move-In/First Day of Class Information
- Dutchess Community College in Poughkeepsie already welcomed back their returners and new students, and the first day of classes was today (August 22, 2022).
- Ulster Community College will kick off the fall semester on Monday, August 29, 2022.
- At Marist College in Poughkeepsie, transfer students arrive on campus on Friday, August 26th, new first-year students on August 27th, returning students on Sunday, August 28th, and classes begin Monday August 29th.
- SUNY New Paltz will begin welcoming new and transfer students on Thursday August 26th, with returning students moving back to campus on Sunday, August 28th. Classes are scheduled to begin on Monday, August 29th.
- Mount St. Mary College in Newburgh will open their residence halls for new and returning students on Sunday, August 28th, and classes are set to begin Monday, August 29th.
- Bard College welcomed their first-year students earlier in the month, and returning students will arrive on campus on Saturday, August 27th, with the first day of classes on Monday, August 29th.
- SUNY Sullivan will have residence hall move-in on September 6th, with classes beginning the next day, Wednesday, September 7th.
- At Vassar College, new student move-in day was August 22nd, with returning students moving back to campus from August 26th through the 28th, and classes beginning Monday, August 29th.
- Orange County Community College will kick off the fall semester on Monday, August 29th.
- Columbia Greene Community College in Hudson begins classes after Labor Day, Tuesday, September 5th.
- The Culinary Institute of America (CIA) in Hyde Park will begin the fall semester on Tuesday, September 6th.
- Dominican University in Orangeburg has new students moving in on Friday, August 26th, returning students over the weekend, and the first day of classes on Monday, August 29th.
- Nyack College will welcome new students on Sunday, September 4th, returning students to follow, and then begin the fall semester on Wednesday, September 7th.
- At Rockland Community College, classes are scheduled to begin on Wednesday, August 31st.
Welcome (back) to the Hudson Valley!