A Hudson Valley deputy sheriff's heroic actions helped save a woman and her dog from a fire. He later put out the fire himself!

On Wednesday around 10 a.m. the Sullivan County Sheriff’s Patrol responded to a 911 call to assist the fire department with a house fire at a home on Gaynor Road in Monguap Valley.

Deputy Kevin Lupardo, who was in the area, arrived on the scene before the Smallwood Monguap Fire Company. He entered the smoke filled home and led a woman and her dog to safety.

Lupardo then retrieved a fire extinguisher from his patrol car, entered the residence a second time and put out the fire.

Lupardo and the resident, Maria Nunez, both suffered minor smoke inhalation. They were examined by Mobile Medic EMS at the scene and refused medical aid.

A preliminary investigation by the fire department and county fire investigators indicated that the fire may have been started by a cigarette.

Sullivan County Sheriff Mike Schiff wasn’t surprised by Lupardo’s heroic actions.

“It’s in his blood,” he said.

In addition to his job in law enforcement, Lupardo is also a volunteer firefighter in Youngsville.