So you have family visiting for the holidays and your furry family members have been running around the house getting ready. What should you keep in mind to keep your pets safe this holiday.

Here are a few suggestions from Dr. Joseph A. D’Abbraccio, D.V.M., President and Chairman of the Board, Pets Alive. Dr Joe wants to remind you of a few things that are potentially toxic to your furry loved ones.

  • Chocolate. There are many versions of chocolate, all of which are not great for their little bodies. I found this out after one of my dogs, Snickers, got into the pantry one morning while I was at work. He decided that an unopened package of chocolate chips desperately needed to be opened. What I discovered when I got home, was the key signs of a chocolate reaction, vomiting and diarrhea. Other signs of toxicity, according to Dr Joe, include in the most severe cases seizures and death.
  • Grapes and Raisins: These two things are commonly associated with acute kidney injury/failure when ingested by dogs. Keep in mind that raisins are in a lot of baked goods this time of year and accidental ingestion can still cause an issue.
  • Unbaked Bread Dough: When you are a kid, you probably tried it, maybe you even liked it, but keep it away from the dogs. The raw dough can cause several issues, which are from the yeast dough being in a warm, moist stomach environment which then causes the dough to expand and ferment. If your pet eats this get immediate attention from your veterinarian.
  • Holiday Plants. Holly, Mistletoe, Poinsettias are all common place this time of year. The leaves and in some cases the berries are all toxic to your pet. Symptoms can vary from drooling and vomiting, to diarrhea, seizures, even death.

Dr Joe, adds that if there is ever any doubt in your mind if your pet has consumed any of the above products, he suggests that you contact your veterinarian immediately.