Hudson Valley Man Indicted For Nearly $1 Million Scheme
A Hudson Valley man was indicted for a nearly $1 million dollar fake check scheme.
In Ulster County Court, a jury indicted 20-year-old Deandre H. Green of Kingston for two counts of scheme to defraud and 25 counts of criminal possession of a forged instrument.
Between October 2016 and January 2017, Green used social media to recruit people to participate in a scheme to cheat many businesses and banks in the area, according to the indictment.
He started out by stealing checks from mailboxes and later solicited people on various social media sites to open bank accounts and provide him with their banking information, officials say.
He also enticed people to provide him a copy of their payroll check which he would use as a template to create fraudulent checks, according to the Ulster County District Attorney's Office.
Green attempted to deposit checks totaling $24, 847.49 from 10 different people and businesses, according to the indictment.
It's estimated, Green recruited over 65 people who were involved in the scheme and attempted to deposit checks that totaled almost $800,000, officials say.
During the over two year investigation the Ulster County District Attorney’s Office was assisted by the following agencies:
- City of Kingston Police Department
- City of Poughkeepsie Police Department
- Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department
- New York State Police
- US Postal Inspection Service
- Hudson Valley Crime Analysis Center
- Dutchess County Sheriff's Department
- Albany City Police Department
Green is currently serving 2-6 years on a conviction out of Dutchess County for robbery and 4 years for a robbery conviction in Albany County.
- Hudson Valley Celebrity Couple Rescues 'In Love' Donkey & Emu
- I Love New York Logo Created By Hudson Valley Man
- Hudson Valley Special Needs Student Wins $28 Million in Rape Case
- AMBER Alert: Child Abducted, Likely Traveling Through Hudson Valley
- Mid-Hudson Civic Center Is Being Renamed, Revitalized
- Hudson Valley Man Accused of Killing Family Member Wanted By FBI
- Hudson Valley Man, 2 Teens Charged With Murder
- Exotic Tick Which Spreads Deadly Disease Found In Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Teen Pleads Guilty Following School Shooting Threat
- 7 Arrested in Hudson Valley Prostitution Bust