Intoxicated Speeding Driver Kills Hudson Valley Man
A Hudson Valley man was killed when he was hit head-on by an intoxicated speeding man who was allegedly fleeing police.
On Wednesday in Orange County Court, 31-year-old Robinson Perez of Manhattan was sentenced to 5 to 15 years in prison in connection with a fatal car crash.
"While no state prison sentence can ever compensate for the pain experienced by a grieving family, I hope that this sentence brings some measure of closure to the victim’s family and his loved ones,” Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler said. “Fatalities caused by those who drive while under the influence of any substance are as preventable as they are tragic. This victim was lawfully using the roadway and had every right to expect that he would be able to safely get to his destination without a speeding driver, impaired by marijuana, inexplicably crossing over a double yellow line into his lane and killing him."
On July 16, 2017, 30-year-old Dustin Mills of Middletown was killed when his car was hit head-on at high-speed by a car driven by Perez on Route 17M in the Town of Wallkill.
Perez was arrested for the fatal crash in July 2018 following a year-long investigation by the New York State Police and the Orange County District Attorney’s Office. In December 2018, he pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide and operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs.
Prosecutors argued that New York State Troopers unsuccessfully attempted to pull Perez over when they noticed Perez driving a BMW over 100 miles per hour just prior to the fatal collision.
At the time he pleaded guilty, Perez admitted that he was under the influence of marijuana at the time of the fatal crash and that his car crossed over the double yellow line into the opposing lane of travel before colliding head-on with the oncoming car.
- Hudson Valley Schools Placed on Lockdown After Threatening video
- Beautiful Hudson Valley Private Island Home Now For Sale
- Young Man Killed While Skiing in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Woman Accused of Trying to Build Pond in Yard
- Hudson Valley Rallies Behind Teen Fighting For His Life
- Winter Weather Advisory Issued For Parts of Hudson Valley
- NYSP: Firefighter, Police Part Of Huge Hudson Valley Drug Ring
- Award-Winning Restaurant Plans Major Expansion in Hudson Valley
- Gunman On the Run After 2 Shot Near Hudson Valley School
- Politician Accused of 'Psychologically Abusing' Pregnant Wife
- Hudson Valley Father of 4 Killed in Alaska, Family Could Use Help
- Woman Dies After Falling Into Freezing Hudson River
- Child Nearly Kidnapped Walking Dog in Hudson Valley, Police Say
- Tire-Gashing Devices Found on Streets in Hudson Valley