Will the Hudson Valley Have a Harsh or Mild Winter?
I know its only the beginning of October, but before we know it winter will be here.
Every upcoming winter season I always say, "I hope this winter won't be a bad one, please be a mild one."
A few years ago, my grandma mentioned to me that there are a few old wives tales out there about how to tell if the winter season will be harsh or not.
Here's what she mentioned:
1) If the leaves fall quickly, it's a sign of a bad winter.
2) If we have a warm fall, it's a sign of a mild winter.
3) If a deer has a heavy coat of fur, it's a sign of bad winter,
4) If their coat is lighter and not as heavy, it's a sign of a mild winter.
5) If the birds migrate early, it's a sign of a bad winter ahead.
I will cling to ANY sign in hopes of a mild winter.
I'm very curious: have you heard of any of these? Do you know of any old wives' tales about winter? Drop a comment below if you do, I'd love to hear more and I'm hoping to hear more about mild signs.