Mohonk Preserve Tragedy, Man Falls While Climbing West Trapps
Tragedy struck Sunday when a man fell to his death while climbing in Mohonk Preserve in New Paltz. The incident occurred in the West Trapps section which is a well-known spot for rock climbers.
Hudson Valley One reports six rangers responded after the unnamed man fell 160 feet to the base of a cliff. This was the third incident in the past few weeks but the first fatality. Firefighters from Gardiner along with State Police assisted at the scene.
According to TheMountainProject.com, there are more than 500 routes to ascend and some can be difficult to spot in the summertime due to overgrowth. There are varying levels of difficulty climbs in the area. More details are not known at this time.
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Hudson Valley Celebrities
- Study Claims New York Women Are the Meanest
- Hudson Valley Town Named One of America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Where Is Oniontown and Why Is It So Dangerous?
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America