The 5 Best Free Campgrounds In New York
Summertime is the perfect time to go camping, and New York has plenty of free campgrounds.
Who doesn't love camping? Tent, RV, cabin; it's all fun. The key is to know where to camp, not just how. Lucky for you, I compiled a list, with help from Free Campsites, of the top 5 free campgrounds in New York for you to enjoy.
1. North Harmony State Forest, Panama
While the campground is all gravel, there are about 5 campsites, and you can even bring your RV. It's highly rated for its cleanliness, great hiking trails, and fishing. You can stay for 3 nights for free or up to 14 with a permit.
2. Thomas Farm, Hounsfield
Just like the first campground, the roads are all gravel. But unlike the first campground, your RV can be any length. There are about 5 campsites and the owners of the farm are said to be friendly, helpful, and keep the place very clean. If you want to stay more than one night, the owners ask that you give a donation.
3. Mud Pond Road - Bonaparte’s Cave State Forest, Harrisville
You can stay for 5 nights totally free at Mud Pond! There is access to a boat ramp, pets are welcome, and there are restrooms!
4. Chapel Pond, Keene Valley
Keep your eyes peeled for this campground, previous campers say its hard to spot but worth the search. A beautiful stream runs right by the camping area, and while it's close to a main road, the noise is minimal.
5. Oswegatchie River Access - Five Ponds Wilderness Area, Star Lake
Here you have access to a boat ramp, restrooms, and pets are welcome! There are about 5 campsites and there is no limit on stay length or RV length.
Where is your favorite place to camp in New York? Tell us in the comments on our Facebook or below.
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Hudson Valley Celebrities
- Study Claims New York Women Are the Meanest
- Hudson Valley Town Named One of America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Where Is Oniontown and Why Is It So Dangerous?
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America