HPD: Hudson Valley Man Plows Into Family of 8 at 7-11 Killing Mom
A Hudson Valley man is accused of killing a mother and injuring six young children after he allegedly drove over them twice at 7-Eleven
On Wednesday around 1:50 p.m., police responded to reports about a man who purposely drove his car into a family of eight who were standing in front of a 7-Eleven in Garnerville.
The driver was identified as 35-year-old Jason Mendez of Washingtonville, ABC reports.
Moments before, Mendez got into an argument with the family, police say. He then allegedly got into his car, which was parked at the 7-Eleven, hit all eight members of the family with his car, put the car in reverse and drove over the family members a second time.
CBS reports the father of the family asked Mendez to not blow smoke in his children's faces.
The eight family members consisted of a 35-year-old man, a 32-year-old woman and six children ranging in age from infant to 10 years old, police say.
The 32-year-old woman, the children's mother, died from her injuries at a hospital.
The father and all of his children were injured. The father and three kids were taken to the Westchester Medical Facility for serious but non-life-threatening injuries, police say. The remaining children are being treated at the local hospital for their injuries.
Mendez was confronted at the scene by responding police officers. He was brandishing a knife and failed to comply with the responding officer's verbal commands to drop the knife, police say. He was then tased, subdued, and taken into custody without further incident, according to police.
Mendez was charged with murder and seven counts of attempted murder with more charges likely.
- Very Contagious Stomach Bug Spreading in Hudson Valley
- HPD: Hudson Valley Man Plows Into Family of 8 at 7-11 Killing Mom
- Outrage Grows Over Local Buildings Named After Slave Owners
- SUNY New Paltz Hall of Famer Killed in Florida
- Beloved Hudson Valley Teacher Killed in New York City
- Hudson Valley Man Killed Trying to Help Crash Victim
- Hudson Valley Schools Placed on Lockdown After Stabbing
- Hudson Valley Dog Stolen From Owner's Car on Valentine's Day
- Hudson Valley Man Killed Cutting Down Tree, Police Say
- Outrage Grows For Hudson Valley Inmate's Sudden Death in Prison