Lost Hiker Rescued Near Mount Beacon
Rangers used cellphone coordinates to locate the hiker who had become lost in Hudson Highlands State Park near Mount Beacon.
On July 6 at noon, Forest Ranger Martin Hanno received a call from DEC Dispatch regarding a lost hiker in Hudson Highlands State Park near Mount Beacon.
The hiker had initially hiked from the Beacon fire tower parking lot but had turned around at a point on the trail and, rather than hiking back down the mountain, continued along the ridge two miles in the wrong direction.
At this point, she called 911 stating she was lost, dehydrated and had used the last of her water. Forest Ranger Hanno instructed the 29-year-old hiker from Poughkeepsie to stay where she was.
Using cellphone coordinates, Forest Rangers Hanno and Patrick Lee hiked in from an access road and found the hiker by 2 p.m. She was returned to her vehicle and declined medical treatment
Listen to the WRRV Morning Grind With Brandi and Nick weekday mornings from 6AM to 10AM through your WRRV app. Connect with WRRV on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Hudson Valley Celebrities
- Study Claims New York Women Are the Meanest
- Hudson Valley Town Named One of America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Where Is Oniontown and Why Is It So Dangerous?
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America