Hudson Valley Parents Do You Follow The Kids School Dress Code?
You know that your kids have a dress code for school and if they don't follow the rules, they will be punished. That punishment could be something simple as demerits or detention or escalate to suspensions, depending on the offense and your schools policies.
There is one school in Texas that, as of April 9, 2019, also implemented a dress code for the parents. From a letter on their website, James Madison High School in Houston Texas, the principal, Carlotta Outley Brown, here are a few of the things that parents are not allowed to wear to schools events or on school property:
- Satin or fabrics bonnets or caps on their heads and no shower caps
- Hair rollers
- Pajamas or long underwear
- Jeans that are all torn up, especially ones that show the buttocks
- Leggings that show your rear and that do not completely cover the front of a persons body or the rear
- Low cut tops where you can see breasts
- Sagging pants, jeans or shorts are not allowed, nor is men wearing only undershirts
- Short Shorts, aka Daisy Dukes
- Dresses where the hems are very short and "up your behind"
The entire list of what parents cannot wear is listed here (PDF). What is the punishment for not adhering to the above dress code? You as a parent will not be allowed to attend the event or enter the school until you return dresses appropriately, according to the principals statement.
Is this fair for the students and the parents?