Special Guided Tour of Local Cemetery, is it Haunted?
Want to learn about a town? Maybe you should head to a cemetery. There are many things you can find out about a town from looking at a snapshot into its past. The timeline of its development, the causes for many of its residents passing and even who the 'big whigs' were simply based on the size of their plots, or their headstones.
The Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery (342 South Rd, Poughkeepsie) is having a guided walking tour through is past present on Sunday September 23, 2018 at 1pm. The cost is $12 per person and pre-paid reservations must be made in advance for this tour.
You will be taken on the walking tour and hearing about the history of Poughkeepsie and according to the flyer, visiting the following graves of local "celebrities:"
- Grave of: Edmund P. Platt - U.S. Congressman and Publisher
- Grave of: Helen Wilkinson Reynolds - Beloved Historian
- Grave of: Adolf Schatz - Businessman
- Grave of: Captain John M. Miller - Celebrated Aviator
- Grave of: Captain Louis McLane Hamilton – Civil and Indian War Soldier
- Private Mausoleum of the Frank Family: Famed Local Brewers
- Site of: The Police Memorial
Have you toured a cemetery? Do you have any information to pass on to us to make our day even better? Questions we should ask? Let us know in the comment section below. For more info on the tour and details how to make your reservation, click here pdf.