Young Police Officer From Hudson Valley Dies
An NYPD officer from the Hudson Valley unexpectedly passed away.
Shane Sullivan, 27, of Middletown died early Saturday morning after crashing into a tree in the Bronx. It's believed the off-duty NYPD officer suffered a medical episode while driving, before crashing into a tree.
The crash happened just after Sullivan finished his shift with the NYPD's 43rd Precinct. Just past midnight, while driving on Sedgwick Avenue, Sullivan fell unconscious, possibly from a heart attack, authorities and sources told the New York Daily News.
Sullivan's Chevrolet then veered off the road and hit a tree. He was rushed to a Bronx hospital where he died.
Sullivan was born in Westchester County on Dec. 7, 1991. He graduated from Pine Bush High School and Orange County Community College before joining the NYPD.
Sullivan began his career with the NYPD in October 2015. He most recently served as a Traffic Safety Office, police say.
"Our hearts are truly heavy today as we mourn the loss of Police Officer Shane Sullivan," the NYPD 43 Precinct wrote on Facebook. "'Sully' was a young, kind, and humble Officer who will be missed by all who knew him."
A medical examiner is still determining the official cause of death. Sullivan was buried on Thursday.
- Neighbors of Hudson Valley Porta-Potty Company Says Area Stinks
- New York Man in Underwear Saves 3 Cars From Flood, Loses Job
- Marijuana is Officially Decriminalized in New York State
- 'Money Grab:' Is New York State and the DMV Scamming New Yorkers?
- Hudson Valley Restaurant Closes Over Immigration Crackdown
- Tick Carrying a Deadly Brain Swelling Virus Found Near New York
- Cops: Hudson Valley Sex Offender Raped Child, More Victims Likely
- Man On The Run From Police in Hudson Valley For Nearly 20 Years
- Hudson Valley Man Arranged to Meet Teen At Mall For Sex