Hudson Valley Woman Sold Drugs That Lead to Disabled Man’s Death
In a historic conviction, a Hudson Valley woman admitted she sold drugs to a disabled man and helped him ingest them, which resulted in the man's death.
On Wednesday in Orange County Court, 24-year-old Katelynn Smith of Port Jervis was sentenced to six years in prison.
Last fall, in a historic plea, Smith pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide and criminal sale of a controlled substance, in connection with the overdose death of a disabled Port Jervis man.
Smith confessed she illegally sold 12 oxycodone pills to a quadriplegic man in his Port Jervis home in April 2018. She further admitted she helped the man take the pills by crushing them up and rolling up a dollar bill for him to snort all 12 crushed pills.
Smith also acknowledged she was aware the man was drinking vodka and took other medications including the sedative Klonopin.
Smith admitted that she then left the man’s home. The man later died. An autopsy revealed the cause of death to be a combination of oxycodone, alcohol and the active ingredient in Klonopin, officials say.
Smith’s conviction represents the first time in Orange County history that a defendant has been convicted of homicide as a result of illegally selling drugs, according to the Orange County District Attorney's Office.
“It’s common knowledge that we are in the midst of an opiate epidemic,” District Attorney David Hoovler said. "An epidemic where drug dealers, in their efforts to make an illegal profit, are literally killing people. Drug dealers must be punished, not just for selling drugs, but for the damage they do to people whose lives they affect. This case should serve as fair warning to drug dealers out there: If you sell drugs in Orange County and the buyer dies, we’re coming after you.”
- Hudson Valley Couple Goes Viral For Wedding Mishap
- Police Save Man From Jumping Off I-84 Bridge in Hudson Valley
- Teen in Critical Condition After Moped Accident in Hudson Valley
- High-Risk Hudson Valley Sex Offender Arrested Again
- Potentially Explosive Devices Placed Near Local Supermarket, Mall
- Beloved Restaurant Owner, Community Activist Killed by Police
- Cops: Hudson Valley Teacher, Coach Had Sex With Minor For Months
- ICE Arrests 31 in New York State, 6 in Hudson Valley