Is American Cheese Really Cheese?
National Cheeseburger day is September 18, 2018 and there was a discussion about what kind of cheese is the best to have on a cheeseburger. The answer to those surveyed said that the #1 cheese for a cheeseburger is American with second place going to cheddar cheese.
This got me to wondering is American cheese really cheese? Or is it some magically melty food product that was made in a lab. Here is the definition of American cheese from Cheese.com: American cheese is processed cheese made from a blend of milk, milk fats and solids, with other fats and whey protein concentrate. American cheese also has the award for the quickest and easiest to melt when heat is applied.
Cheddar cheese or the second place winner in this 'survey' is made from cows milk, not as quick to melt as the American cheese and has a bit more crumbly texture. Cheddar can also be sliced to put on your hamburger, possibly with more flavorful results than a slice of American cheese.
When you want a cheeseburger, what kind of cheese do you find yourself reaching for? Feel free to chose more types of cheese than the two mentioned above.
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Hudson Valley Celebrities
- Study Claims New York Women Are the Meanest
- Hudson Valley Town Named One of America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Where Is Oniontown and Why Is It So Dangerous?
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America