Is it Really Illegal to Use Your Phone While Pumping Gas in NY?
We all know it is illegal to drive while you're distracted but what about pumping gas? Ever since I moved to New York I've had people tell me to get off of my cell phone when I'm pumping gas. I've been told several times that it's illegal?
Is it really against the law? Although I'm told they exist, I've barely seen any signs posted.
After scouring the internet, I can't find any law on the books that prohibits cell phone use at the pump. It is frowned upon, though. Why is that?
According to the NY Daily News, the fear is that cell phone batteries can explode. And if that happens while you're pumping gas, it can be devastating. Some experts say that the chances of that happening are very slim.
Are you better safe than sorry, or is this rule completely ridiculous?
Listen to the WRRV Morning Grind With Brandi and Nick weekday mornings from 6AM to 10AM through your WRRV app. Connect with WRRV on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Hudson Valley Celebrities
- Study Claims New York Women Are the Meanest
- Hudson Valley Town Named One of America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Where Is Oniontown and Why Is It So Dangerous?
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America