Muskellunge Season Begins in the Hudson Valley
Are you a big fisher? Maybe the correct word is angler? The season for a specific type of Pike known as Muskellunge or 'Muskie's' begins on May 26, 2018. There are a few things you might want to be aware of if you plan to go and try to catch a few of these guys. Muskellunges are New York's largest fresh water fish so they are pretty tempting to go after.
The suggestions come from the New York Department of Environmental Conservation:
- Be patient. These little (or not so little) guys are fish that like to make you wait.
- You cannot keep a Muskie that is less than 40 inches. For ones that are caught in the Niagara and St Lawrence Rivers you cannot keep one that is less than 50 inches.
- Know how to properly handle the Muskie once you catch it (great info on how to do that is here)
- Keep their time out of the water to less than 30 seconds.
- Get out there and try to catch them!
Where is your favorite area of New York State to go fishing? Feel free to email us photo's of your biggest catch.
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Hudson Valley Celebrities
- Study Claims New York Women Are the Meanest
- Hudson Valley Town Named One of America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Where Is Oniontown and Why Is It So Dangerous?
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America