Powerful Images from Poughkeepsie’s ‘We Can’t Breathe’ Protest
Many Hudson Valley residents gathered to protest the death of George Floyd and racial injustice this past week. Hundreds showed up in downtown Poughkeepsie to show their support and the photos are very powerful.
Several demonstrations have been happening throughout the Hudson Valley and all over the country.
Though some of the protests have escalated into violence and unrest, Poughkeepsie's large protest was reported to be mostly civil. Hundreds marched from Harriet Tubman Park in Poughkeepsie to the Mid-Hudson Bridge and to the arterial.
"I’m extremely proud of the people that marched for this horrific situation and I’m equally pleased with how the police handled the situation. The police were dealt a lot of crap and took it on the chin like pros," photographer David Boccio said.
Here are some photos from the protest from captured through Boccio's lens and that of fellow local photographer Tyler J. Blodgett.
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Hudson Valley Celebrities
- Study Claims New York Women Are the Meanest
- Hudson Valley Town Named One of America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Where Is Oniontown and Why Is It So Dangerous?
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Hudson Valley Restaurant Listings